SubjectRe: Edited kexec_load(2) [kexec_file_load()] man page for review
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
> On 29 January 2015 at 02:27, Scot Doyle <lkml14@scotdoyle.com> wrote:

> >> Ah, this one. Actually generic kexec file loading implementation does not
> >> impose this restriction. It is the image specific loader part which
> >> decides what kind of bzImage it can load.
> >>
> >> Current implementation (kexec-bzimage64.c), is only supporting loading
> >> bzImages which are 64bit and can be loaded above 4G. This simplifies
> >> the implementation of loader.
> >>
> >> But there is nothing which prevents one from implementing other image
> >> loaders.
> >>
> >> So instead of saying that kexec_file_load() depends on CONFIG_RELOCATABLE,
> >> it might be better to say in man page that currently this system call
> >> supports only loading a bzImage which is 64bit and which can be loaded
> >> above 4G too.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Vivek
> >
> > Thanks, I agree, and think it would make sense to list them as part of the
> > page's ENOEXEC error.
>
> Scott, could you then phras a couple of sentences that capture thge
> details, so I can add it to the ENOEXEC error?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Yes, maybe something like "kernel_fd does not refer to an open file, or
the file type is not supported. Currently, the file must be a bzImage
and contain an x86 kernel loadable above 4G in memory (see
Documentation/x86/boot.txt)."?

boot.txt explains that loading above 4G implies 64-bit and is specified
via a bit in xloadflags added in Linux 3.8.

  Last update: 2015-01-29 17:21    [W:0.071 / U:3.368 seconds]