SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] unload Audio drivers while playback stream is active case kernel crash
At Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:15:36 +0100,
Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> On 01/14/2015 08:43 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:54:12 +0000,
> > Mark Brown wrote:

> >> That doesn't help, users can still forcibly unbind the driver at runtime
> >> without loading the module - and there's always the potential for
> >> actually hotpluggable hardware. The teardown paths should be able to
> >> cope somewhat gracefully.
> >
> > The module refcount has to be handled while being used for stopping
> > module unload. That's irrelevant from the dynamic unbinding support
> > itself. Of course, the module refcount doesn't save the world, but
> > it's the right fix for this particular scenario.
>
> Refcounting won't help in this case. The issue is caused by a delayed work
> item that gets launched when the PCM stream is stopped. So if you decrease
> the refcount when the stream is stopped you still have a window where it is
> possible to remove the module while the work is still being scheduled.

OK, so it's not about active stream. From the reporter's description,
I supposed that the module gets unloaded while playing a stream, which
shouldn't be allowed.

> And while we do flush the scheduled work when we remove the ASoC card this
> is done before snd_card_free() is called. So when snd_card_free() is called
> it gets re-scheduled again. I think the correct fix is to add a
> snd_card_disconnect() at the very top of soc_cleanup_card_resources().

Or move the most code of soc_cleanup_card_resources() to
card->private_free or such to be called from snd_card_free(), and
snd_soc_unregister_card() just needs to call snd_card_free().
This will trigger the disconnection, settle down the device usages
then release the soc resources gracefully.

Takashi

  Last update: 2015-01-14 10:01    [W:0.098 / U:0.536 seconds]