SubjectRe: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM
On Tue, 9 Sep 2014, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> By design it seems systemd should not allow worker processes to block
> indefinitely and in fact it currently uses the same timeout for all
> types of worker processes.

And I whole-heartedly believe this is something that fundamentally needs
to be addressed in systemd, not in the kernel.

This aproach is actually introducing a user-visible regressions. Look, for
example, exec() never times out. Therefore if your system is on its knees,
heavily overloaded (or completely broken), you are likely to be able to
`reboot' it, because exec("/sbin/reboot") ultimately succeeds.

But with all the timeouts, dbus, "Failed to issue method call: Did
not receive a reply" messages, this is getting close to impossible.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2014-09-10 00:41    [W:0.672 / U:0.508 seconds]