SubjectRe: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM
On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Tejun Heo <tj@kernel.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 07:57:28PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> > I think we
>> > just should make exceptions sensible so that it works fine in practice
>> > for now (and I don't think that'd be too hard). So, the only
>> > cooperation necessary from userland would be just saying "I don't
>> > wanna wait for device probing on module load."
>>
>> But we're talking about drivers that have a flag that says 'you gotta
>> wait sucker', what do we want systemd to do then? I'd be happy if it'd
>> would not send the sigkill for these drivers, for example.
>
> Hah? Can you give me an example? I'm having hard time imagining a
> driver with such requirement given our current driver core
> implementation.

I didn't say I had one in mind, but if you're certain these *shouldn't
exist* that's sufficient by me as well.

OK so I'll respin this series to enable a sysctl that would enable
async probe for *all drivers* using queue_work(system_unbound_wq) and
only use sync probe for now on request_module() users, we'll address
scheduling issues as they come up. I'll be ignoring built-in.

On the systemd side of things it should enable this sysctl and for
older kernels what should it do?

Luis

  Last update: 2014-09-09 06:01    [W:0.165 / U:1.544 seconds]