SubjectRe: [RFC v2 3/6] kthread: warn on kill signal if not OOM
On 9/5/2014 3:29 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello, Dmitry.
>
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:10:03AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>> I do not agree that it is actually user-visible change: generally speaking you
>> do not really know if device is there or not. They come and go. Like I said,
>> consider all permutations, with hot-pluggable buses, deferred probing, etc,
>
> It is for storage devices which always have guaranteed synchronous
> probing on module load and well-defined probing order. Sure, modern
> setups are a lot more dynamic but I'm quite certain that there are
> setups in the wild which depend on storage driver loading being
> synchronous. We can't simply declare one day that such behavior is
> broken and break, most likely, their boots.

we even depend on this in the mount-by-label cases

many setups assume that the internal storage prevails over the USB stick in the case of conflicts.
it's a security issue; you don't want the built in secure bootloader that has a kernel root argument
by label/uuid.
the security there tends to assume that built-in wins over USB

  Last update: 2014-09-06 01:21    [W:0.944 / U:0.032 seconds]