    SubjectRe: [RFC 0/7] Qualcomm SMEM, SMD, RPM and regulators

    On Sep 29, 2014, at 7:34 PM, Bjorn Andersson <Bjorn.Andersson@sonymobile.com> wrote:

    > All Qualcomm platforms implements a shared heap among the processors in the
    > SoC, used for sharing data with other parts of the system.
    >
    > One consumer of items from this heap is the "Shared Memory Driver", a ring
    > buffer based point-to-point communication mechanism used to send either stream
    > or packet based data to remote processors.
    >
    > Starting with 8x74 this system is used to talk to the Resource Power Manager
    > (RPM), a power efficient "coprocessor" with responsibility of aggregate votes
    > from the various systems in the SoC related to regulators, clocks and bus
    > frequencies.
    >
    > The PMIC regulators and root clocks in these platforms are only accessible via
    > the RPM, so to get access to these we need the full chain of smem, smd, rpm and
    > a regulator driver implemented. And that is exactly what this series provides.
    >

    > A key outstanding question is where in the tree we should put the
    > implementation, for now I dropped them in drivers/soc/qcom but that's only
    > because I don't know where to put it otherwise. I have not found any equivalent
    > of the SMEM driver, SMD resembles mailbox and rpmsg - but comments in that
    > patch on why it's neither.
    >
    > RPM is a mfd and regulator is a regulator :)

    I still don’t see why RPM support for either A-family or B-family should exist in MFD vis drivers/soc/qcom. What benefit is there in putting this in MFD?

    I think both A and B-family support should be in drivers/soc/qcom for the current time being until we determine there is some framework that makes more sense in the future. I almost see RPM more like a bus controller than anything else. Something like an I2C bus controller that than has some set of devices off of that bus.

    - k

    Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation