SubjectRe: x86, microcode: BUG: microcode update that changes x86_capability
On Wed, 24 Sep 2014, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> > And I'd really prefer it to be "update x86_capability, warn the user and
> > carry on" for anything that is not going to crash the kernel. Several
> > distros will really want this backported to -stable, as the older kernels
> > cannot do early microcode updates.
> >

> I'm trying to see if Intel is willing to document any additional
> controls for the TSX bits in this ucode. No word yet, but I might
> hear something soon.

If they do document it, please make sure to ask what will happen in the
following situation:

Assume there is a newer release of Intel microcode for these
processors, i.e. newer than the microcodes in the 2014-09-13 release.
IOW assume there are at least two public microcode updates in which the
Intel TSX feature has been disabled by default, but can be enabled by
the BIOS/UEFI.

1. BIOS/UEFI has recent microcode (which has the Intel TSX on/off
switch), but it is not the latest microcode, and installed this
update on the processor.

2. BIOS/UEFI has *enabled* Intel TSX on user request.

3. Microcode is updated to the latest microcode by the operating
system, newer than the one in BIOS/UEFI.

After step 3, will Intel TSX be enabled, or disabled ?

Or, to be more explicit: will future microcode updates preserve Intel TSX
enabled/disabled state, or will they always reset it to disabled?

This is really important, for obvious reasons.

Henrique Holschuh

  Last update: 2014-09-24 20:21    [W:0.746 / U:0.296 seconds]