SubjectRe: [RFC 1/2] target: Add documentation on the target userspace pass-through driver
> Reading this several times, I now think I get what it's trying to say,
> but I think it needs to introduces the terms (as the Economist style
> does). Something like this:
>
> "TCM is the new name for LIO, an in-kernel iSCSI target (server).
> Existing TCM targets run in the kernel. TCMU (TCM in Userspace)
> allows userspace programs to be written which act as iSCSI targets.
> This document describes the design.
>
> The existing kernel provides modules for different SCSI transport
> protocols. TCM also modularizes the data storage. There are
> existing modules for file, block device, RAM or using another SCSI
> device as storage. These are called "backstores" or "storage
> engines". These built-in modules are implemented entirely as kernel
> code."
>
> And hopefully having defined a bit of background, the rest of the
> document just flows nicely:

Thanks much! I've put this in the doc, and will hopefully send out a
final patchset for inclusion with the new text in the next week or so.

<begin naming potential-bikeshed wasteoftime>

The only change I made was "another" instead of "the new name" --
because to be honest I don't know if there was actually an attempt at a
name change, and if so if it was successful or not :) LIO seems to have
stuck, but TCM seems to refer just to the "backend" part of LIO.

<end bikeshed>

Thanks again -- Andy

  Last update: 2014-09-03 00:41    [W:0.064 / U:0.048 seconds]