SubjectRe: For review: user_namespace(7) man page
Hi Eric,

On 09/09/2014 09:05 AM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Andy, and Eric,
>>
>> On 09/01/2014 01:57 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

>>> Putting "root directory" here is odd -- that's really part of a
>>> different namespace. But user namespaces sort of isolate the other
>>> namespaces from each other.
>>
>> I'm trying to remember the details here. I think this piece originally
>> came after a discussion with Eric, but I am not sure. Eric?
>
> Probably.
>
> I am not certain what the best way to say it but we do need to document
> that an unprivileged user that creates a user namespace can now call
> chroot.
>
> We may also want to discuss the specific restrictions on chroot.
>
> The text about chroot at least gives people a strong hint that the
> chroot rules are affected by user namespaces.
>
> The restrictions that we have settled on to avoid chroot being a problem
> are the creator of a user namespace must not be chrooted in their
> current mount namespace, and the creator of the user namespace must not
> be threaded.
>
> Andy can you check me on this it looks like unshare is currently buggy
> in that it will allow a threaded application to create a user namespace.

So, somewhere we should have some text such as:

[[
An unprivileged user who creates a namespace can call chroot(2)
within that namesapce, subject to the restriction that the
creator of a user namespace must not be chrooted in their
current mount namespace, and the creator of the user namespace must not
be threaded.
]]

Right?

>>> Also, ugh, keys. How did keyctl(2) ever make it through any kind of review?

>>> Or unless file capabilities have a non-empty inheritable mask.
>>>
>>> It may be worth mentioning that execve in a user namespace works
>>> exactly like execve outside a userns.
>>

>> I';ve reworded that para to say:
>>
>> Note that a call to execve(2) will cause a process's capabili‐
>> ties to be recalculated in the usual way (see capabilities(7)),
>> so that usually, unless it has a user ID of 0 within the names‐
>> pace or the executable file has a nonempty inheritable capabil‐
>> ities mask, it will lose all capabilities. See the discussion
>> of user and group ID mappings, below.
>>
>> Okay?
>
> That seems reasonable to me.

>>> This checked for the opening process (and I don't actually remember
>>> whether it's checked for the writing process).
>>
>> Eric, can you comment?
>
> We have to check for the opening processes and that changes was made
> after I implemented my interface. Pieces of the code appear to also
> examine the writing process and verify everything applies to it as well.
>
> I goofed when I designed the interface originall and had not realized
> what a classic design error it can be to not restrict by the opening
> process.

So, I still need some help here. Should the sentence above just read:

1. The *opening* process must have the CAP_SETUID (CAP_SETGID)
capability in the user namespace of the process pid.

or must something also be said about the writing process? (If so, i'd
appreciate a completely formed sentence or two that I can just drop into
the man page..)

Cheers,

Michael

--