Subject(trying again) how to get kernel stack trace if process not blocked?
Hello list,
I know cat /proc/pid/stack shows the kernel call stack of a process, and
this is so good, but it will show just 0xffffffffffffffff if the process
is running in kernel space and not blocked (sleeping).

It would be *very* useful to get the kernel stack trace for a running
process, even if imprecise, or at least knowing the name of the kernel
function executing now (top of the stack). Why is it not doable?

I tried to disable CONFIG_SCHED_OMIT_FRAME_POINTER but it didn't allow
to print the stack from /proc/pid/stack anyway. What is the benefit of
disabling such kernel option (i.e. having the frame pointer)?

I guessed that maybe with EIP from /proc/pid/stat it is possible to do
something like that but I can't find much information on how to do that.

Thanks for any information
EW

  Last update: 2014-08-20 10:41    [W:0.357 / U:0.044 seconds]