SubjectRe: [Intel-gfx] Usage of _PAGE_PCD et al in i915 driver
On 08/18/2014 12:21 PM, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 07:31:58AM +0200, Juergen Gross wrote:

>>> We have a PAT that is structured the same way as the x86 PAT. But the
>>> contents of the PAT entries are obviously specific to the GPU so it's
>>> not identical. But the pcd/pwt/pat bits index the PAT in exactly the
>>> same way as on x86.
>>>
>>> See bdw_setup_private_ppat() and chv_setup_private_ppat() for how we
>>> set up the PAT.
>>>

>> So you are using the PAT bit in the ptes, but the semantic for the GPU
>> will be different as for the x86 processor, because the GPU PAT is set
>> up differently from the x86 one.
>>
>> In case you are sharing ptes between GPU and x86 processor in future,
>> this might lead to problems when the x86 processor will use ptes with
>> the PAT bit set.
>
> I'm not sure why you single out the PAT bit. It's just another index bit
> like PCD and PWT.

I single out the PAT bit because all entries of CPU PAT-register and
GPU PAT-register differ with PAT==1. With PAT==0 they are configured
to have the same semantics.

> Currently we play around with the GPU caching mode rather freely because
> the hardware is already fully coherent wrt. CPU caches (well, apart from
> display scanout which knows nothing about any caches). What we do
> currently is leave all the CPU mappings as WB and just change the GPU
> caching mode depending on the need.

The Xen hypervisor is already using a different PAT configuration than
then Linux Kernel.

So your approach could break Xen when sharing the page tables between
CPU and GPU.

> However once we share the page tables I'm not sure what's the plan wrt.
> changing the caching mode for GPU buffers since that would involve
> changing the CPU cachine mode as well, and we may still want finer
> granularity control over the various GPU caches. Maybe we need to
> reserve some PAT entries for GPU specific purposes so that the CPU
> might have no difference between two PAT entries but the GPU would.
> But I'm not sure there are any extra PAT entries left which could be
> reserved for such things.

There should be 2 entries left in the PAT-register which could be used
by the GPU, I think: there are only 6 different cache modes defined for
x86 and we have 8 PAT register entries, so at least 2 entries must be
duplicates.