SubjectRe: OT: Open letter to the Linux World
Date
On Friday 15 August 2014, Vlad Glagolev wrote:
>This is a problem, which is silently ignored by those who HAS to defend
>OSS' freedom. But politics (related to stuff they get a lot of money
>from) of companies like RedHat isn't that white and fluffy for users,
>because THEY started this chaos of perverting the UNIX philosophy.
>I noticed that when they announced a brand new strategy with obfuscation
>of kernel patches, so it would be damn hard for their opponents (aka
>the rest of the world) to understand what these patches exactly do. [0]
>
>My road with Linux started in good old 2002-2003 with 3-disc RedHat
>distro. You know why? Because once my irc-friend told me: "Here's a new
>operating system: it's free, open-sourced and primarily -- you can
>redraw everything in it (speaking of UI)". I formatted my HDD with
>win2k that night. Because it was what I had been looking for --
>operating system with a total freedom. And everything you need was only
>time and brains. I tried some binary distros and have discovered
>they're not for me -- not much freedom enough (I needed to keep my
>system clean and small without a ton of dependencies I would never
>use). Source-based distros have saved me. I'm talking about those which
>aren't known to 99% of Linux community (except Gentoo, ofc.) -- Source
>Mage, Lunar, T2. LFS is a bit hard to maintain on >2 machines on a
>yearly basis, you know.
>
>Now what do we see? Complete degradation of Linux-like ecosystem. I'm
>not talking about Linux kernel itself, because it's going the right way
>(mostly because of its head). But I'm talking about those who made
>Linux what it is now. About initial developers of userland stuff,
>which is (and really was) VERY fragmented. And now we see a couple of
>companies (companies, indeed, not people; because yes, Linux is a
>really gainful thingy, who would have ever thought like that 15 years
>ago?) who wants to defragment it, like what we did with filesystems on
>Windows in good old days to make it work faster. Now someone strives to
>exactly the same aim -- to rake a lot of money faster than it happens
>now.
>
>Have you ever thought what spheres will be affected? Hosting companies,
>corporations migrating to Linux from billion m$ contracts (at least we
>see this tendency here in Russia, in Germany and across the Europe).
>I will quote IgnorantGuru to show you what will happen soon:
>
>"In open source, you can’t lock people out of the code like you can in
>Windows. But you can make the system so complex that no one can control
>it at a lower level without being a developer with lots of time to
>spare. I think ultimately that’s what this is about. And the systemd
>tool stack will likely eventually be used for DRM and other restrictive
>technologies (just as HAL was)." [1]
>
>"I think it’s safe to say that any spirit of freedom and diversity
>that once drove Linux is dead. The new people entering the realm of
> [...]

I don't normally do much in the me too dept. But these two people have a
valid point, one we ignore at our peril. And I've been a linux user
exclusively since my first red hat 5.0 install days in late '97 or early
'98.

Too many people are changing things around JUST TO MAKE THEIR DISTRO
UNIQUE and often grossly slower, not to mention much harder to configure.
And I'm getting damned tired of the slow.

I have, not powered up in years, a 500mhz k6-III powered box under the
next desk over, that in 2002 or 3, with a red hat 7.1 install on it, that
played all the sound & video files then available on the MSM News sites
perfectly. And did it on a net pipe with 5% of the 10 megabit circuit I
have now.

But I needed a faster machine, one that didn't have to use a gigabyte of
swap when I opened a big image in gimp, so I built a phenom based quad
core running at 2.1Ghz on a ASUS motherboard with 8Gb of ram on the board.
It has yet to play a video whose audio was in sync with the video, or that
didn't suffer audio under runs cutting words into fractional syllable bits
at about 4 per second, or video freezes that might last for several 10's
of seconds, then plays catchup at 6000 frames per second.

Currently running a 3.13.6 kernel and its still not usable. Great
uptimes, but not at all pleasant to use.

There is something basically and drastically wrong with this picture. So
I'll be more than happy to add my "me too" to this rant.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)