SubjectRe: [patch] x86, perf: avoid spamming kernel log for bts buffer failure
From
On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 03:16:40PM +0200, Stephane Eranian wrote:

>> > Can you elaborate a bit under which conditions this triggered? Typically
>> > we should be doing fairly well allocating such buffers with GFP_KERNEL,
>> > that should allow things like compaction to run and create higher order
>> > pages.
>> >
>> I think this triggers when you have fragmented memory and you have
>> perf_events active and inactive (i.e., 0 users = no nmi watchdog) frequently.
>> Each first user invokes the reserve_ds() function to reserve DS, PEBS, BTS.
>
> Right, that'd suck. I suppose we could also change that to allocate the
> DS resources on first demand and never free them again.

Some may argue that if you never use perf_event again, you are wasting
(1 + 1 + 4) pages per CPU. That may not be okay on some systems.

But yes, it would avoid this problem and also take the penalty for the allocs
only once.

> So only allocate the PEBS buffer when we create the first PEBS event,
> and idem for the BTS muck.
>
>> The reason for BTS rather then PEBS is the size of the allocation.
>> PEBS allocates one page, i.e., less likely to get a failure than BTS
>> which allocates 4 pages, I think.
>
> Sure..
>
>> David and I discussed this. He can probably add more background
>> info, if needed.
>
> It would still be good to see why compaction etc is failing.

  Last update: 2014-07-02 16:21    [W:0.069 / U:0.288 seconds]