[lkml]   [2014]   [Jun]   [30]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
Messages in this thread
Subject[PATCH 00/15] Input - Wacom: switch from an USB to a HID driver
Hi guys,

this patch series is a cleanup for the Wacom USB driver.

I started working on this topic when I saw patches floating around which
implemented a report descriptor parser within the wacom.ko module.
However, we already have a nice HID subsystem which is more generic than the
HID implementation we can find in this USB driver.
Further details of the benefits (code reduction, regression tests) are hopefully
explained in the commit messages of the corresponding patches.

Also, I am working on a way to handle the new Wacom tablets in a more generic
way in the hid tree, so consider this patch series as a first step in this

This patch series transfers the wacom.ko driver from the input tree into the hid
tree. I did not made the corresponding move of the files in the series hoping
that we will find a way to achieve it if this step is validated.

IMO, the smoothest path would be that Jiri takes care of the wacom driver
in the input tree (and that we move into into the hid subfolder). This can be
achieve if the current pending wacom patches are applied in the hid tree too.

Another solution could be to keep the wacom changes in the input tree and put the
hid changes in the hid tree by using separate commits. Once 3.17 is out, we can
then change the module into the hid subfolder.

I wanted to send this patch series right now so we can figure out how we will
handle the transition.

I am pretty confident the patch series does not break any existing device
(except for the required user space changes which can be handled correctly if
we tackle them right now). The USB commands are executed in the same way,
and the protocol handling is also done in the same way.

Anyway, the net difference in lines of code (-307) should be enough to be of

Note: This patch series requires the current pending wacom patches to be applied.
I set up a tree with all the patch applied if anyone wants to give a try:


Benjamin Tissoires (15):
Input - wacom: include and use linux/hid.h
Input - wacom: switch from an USB driver to a HID driver
Input - wacom: use hid communication instead of plain usb
Input - wacom: use HID core to actually fetch the report descriptor
Input - wacom: compute the HID report size to get the actual packet
Input - wacom: install LED/OLED sysfs files in the HID device instead
of USB
Input - wacom: register the input devices on top of the HID one
Input - wacom: remove usb dependency for siblings devices
Input - wacom: register power device at the HID level
Input - wacom: use hid_info instead of plain dev_info
HID: uhid: add and set HID_TYPE_UHID for uhid devices
Input - wacom: use in-kernel HID parser
Input - wacom: use hidinput_calc_abs_res instead of duplicating its
Input - wacom: remove field pktlen declaration in the list of devices
Input - wacom: keep wacom_ids ordered

drivers/hid/hid-core.c | 15 +-
drivers/hid/hid-wacom.c | 2 +-
drivers/hid/uhid.c | 2 +
drivers/input/tablet/wacom.h | 7 +-
drivers/input/tablet/wacom_sys.c | 908 +++++++++++++--------------------------
drivers/input/tablet/wacom_wac.c | 647 ++++++++++++++--------------
drivers/input/tablet/wacom_wac.h | 10 +-
include/linux/hid.h | 4 +-
8 files changed, 644 insertions(+), 951 deletions(-)


 \ /
  Last update: 2014-07-01 08:21    [W:0.193 / U:5.156 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site