SubjectRe: Sporadic ESP payload corruption when using IPSec in NAT-T Transport Mode
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 01:33:24PM +0200, Steffen Klassert wrote:
> Ccing netdev.
>
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 02:12:30PM -0700, Evan Gilman wrote:
> > Hi all
> > We have a couple Ubuntu 10.04 hosts with kernel version 3.14.5 which are
> > experiencing TCP payload corruption when using IPSec in NAT-T transport
> > mode. All are running under Xen at third party providers. When
> > communicating with other hosts using IPSec, we see that these corrupt TCP
> > PDUs are still being received by the remote listener, even though the TCP
> > checksum is invalid.
> > All other checksums (IPSec authentication header and IP checksum) are
> > good. So, we are thinking that corruption is happening during the ESP
> > encapsulation and decapsulation phase (IPSec required for reproduction).
> > The corruption occurs sporadically, and we have not found any one
> > payload/packet combination that will reliably trigger it, though we can
> > typically reproduce it in less than 30 minutes. We can do it very simply
> > by reading from /dev/zero with dd and piping through netcat. It occurs
> > whenever a 3.14.5 kernel is involved at either end of the conversation. I
> > can send captures to those who are interested. Does any of this sound
> > familiar?
>
> I can't remember anyone reporting such problems, but maybe someone
> else does.

I have seen one report where a Xen guest experienced IPsec corruption
when using aesni-intel. However, in that case the corruption was at
the authentication level. Are you using aesni-intel by any chance?

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>

  Last update: 2014-06-30 16:01    [W:0.088 / U:20.084 seconds]