SubjectRe: Sporadic ESP payload corruption when using IPSec in NAT-T Transport Mode
Ccing netdev.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 02:12:30PM -0700, Evan Gilman wrote:
> Hi all
> We have a couple Ubuntu 10.04 hosts with kernel version 3.14.5 which are
> experiencing TCP payload corruption when using IPSec in NAT-T transport
> mode. All are running under Xen at third party providers. When
> communicating with other hosts using IPSec, we see that these corrupt TCP
> PDUs are still being received by the remote listener, even though the TCP
> checksum is invalid.
> All other checksums (IPSec authentication header and IP checksum) are
> good. So, we are thinking that corruption is happening during the ESP
> encapsulation and decapsulation phase (IPSec required for reproduction).
> The corruption occurs sporadically, and we have not found any one
> payload/packet combination that will reliably trigger it, though we can
> typically reproduce it in less than 30 minutes. We can do it very simply
> by reading from /dev/zero with dd and piping through netcat. It occurs
> whenever a 3.14.5 kernel is involved at either end of the conversation. I
> can send captures to those who are interested. Does any of this sound
> familiar?

I can't remember anyone reporting such problems, but maybe someone
else does.

> Steps and observations so far:
> - tcpdump running on both sender and receiver
> - ESP looks sane on the outside. TCP payload corruption can be seen only
> after decryption
> - Once reproduced, you may see only one or two problem packets come
> through
> - Sometimes corruption is witnessed on the wire (suspected encapsulation
> corruption)
> - Sometimes corruption is _not_ witnessed on the wire, though the test
> surfaces corruption (suspected decapsulation corruption)
> - Corruption not witnessed over connections without a governing IPSec
> policy
> - Corruption not witnessed after changing previously misbehaving hosts to
> kernel version 2.6.32.
> You can find the kernel config for the affected host
> here: [1]https://gist.github.com/evan2645/2c28d46e81d2b4c8f251
> On another note, it seems the assumption that TCP payloads are safe when
> encapsulated by ESP, and therefore the checksum need not be verified, is a
> false one. It has certainly caused us a great deal of pain. Is there a
> significant reason for bypassing TCP checksum validation when using IPSec
> Transport Mode?

We set the CHECKSUM_UNNECESSARY flag when IPsec transport mode is used in
combination with NAT because NAT might change the IP header what results in
incorrect checksums. Bypassing the TCP checksum is one of the options
that are specified for this case in RFC 3948 section 3.1.2.

> We are still trying to locate the exact spot in which the corruption is
> occurring - any suggestions on how we could do that? We have not seen this
> problem under Ubuntu 10.04 with kernel version 2.6.32. Thanks in advance!

There was a lot of development between v2.6.32 and v3.14.5, so it is hard
to say what is causing this problems. As a first step, it would be good
to know which kernel version introduced this problems.