SubjectRe: CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER default
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:55:26PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On 06/24/2014 11:33 AM, Greg KH wrote:

> >> To introduce the option but not change the default behavior. (yet?) I don't
> >> really have an opinion one way or the other, I just defaulted to being
> >> conservative.
> >
> > Yes, being conservative is good as turning this off with older systems
> > (like the pathological Fedora 3 system that some kernel developers still
> > use for testing), would result in a non-booting box. So if you know
> > that your system is "new enough", it's safe to turn off, but if you have
> > a doubt, leave it on to be safe.
>
> As far as I know, there's no real requirement that a defconfig kernel be
> able to boot old userspace. We want an oldconfig kernel to be able to
> boot old userspace, but changing the default won't affect that.
>
> For example, a defconfig kernel won't boot opensuse 9.
>
> --Andy

I noticed this help message yesterday, and decided that I
almost-certainly did NOT want it (that system is about 6 weeks old,
with then-current releases of everything). But I was not able to
complete the kernel build because of other problems (possibly
related to gcc-4.9.1) and I have other things to do at the moment.
All of which means that I can not, for the moment, review what will
happen if I let this option get enabled.

Two things about this default concern me:

(i.) I got the option with 'make oldconfig' and, after reading the
help, made a decision. But, in the absence of other problems, and
if the help text is correct, it looks as if a kernel built after
accepting the default 'Y' here with recent userspace might grind to
a halt after "successfully" booting? That sounds slightly better
than "fails to boot", but only slightly. Maybe the problem needs
a lot of modules, or is it something like "it will hang for a minute,
then boot" ?

(ii.) I understand that people continue to use ancient userspace,
and for that the 'Y' option is needed. Using ancient userspace is
a worthwhile thing for _somebody_ to try. But where is the line
between "you need to enable this" and "enabling this might be a
really bad idea" ? Maybe a specific version of udev ?

ĸen