SubjectRe: [RFC] Tux3 for review

On 05/16/2014 05:50 PM, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> We would like to offer Tux3 for review for mainline merge. We have prepared a new repository suitable for pulling:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/daniel/linux-tux3.git/&k=ZVNjlDMF0FElm4dQtryO4A%3D%3D%0A&r=cKCbChRKsMpTX8ybrSkonQ%3D%3D%0A&m=HU1zkg6rNOpSE0e5%2FKr7FH%2B2v8AbariYTtSijfNFsCY%3D%0A&s=941c4856b064898f9f05c0337b06db718dab951d8e65fccffaced7bd1d5e91a2
>
> Tux3 kernel module files are here:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/daniel/linux-tux3.git/tree/fs/tux3&k=ZVNjlDMF0FElm4dQtryO4A%3D%3D%0A&r=cKCbChRKsMpTX8ybrSkonQ%3D%3D%0A&m=HU1zkg6rNOpSE0e5%2FKr7FH%2B2v8AbariYTtSijfNFsCY%3D%0A&s=2471ce8b7706ede604604a5be7130daeb9424b7197122a66491c365525fbabe1
>
> Tux3 userspace tools and tests are here:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/daniel/linux-tux3.git/tree/fs/tux3/user?h%3Duser&k=ZVNjlDMF0FElm4dQtryO4A%3D%3D%0A&r=cKCbChRKsMpTX8ybrSkonQ%3D%3D%0A&m=HU1zkg6rNOpSE0e5%2FKr7FH%2B2v8AbariYTtSijfNFsCY%3D%0A&s=5b2ed7f8f99d030c502fd74e47c18ca75e5889f6bc4e5b45f5dd9031fe853ac2
>
> Repository
>
> We are moving our development to the kernel.org tree from our standalone Github repository. Our history was imported from the standalone repository using git am. Our kernel.org tree is the usual fork of Linus mainline, with Tux3 kernel files on the master branch and userspace files in fs/tux3/user on the user branch. We maintain the user files in our kernel tree because Tux3 has a tighter coupling than usual between userspace and kernel.
>
> Most of our kernel code also runs in userspace, for testing or as a fuse filesystem or as part of our userspace support. We also need to keep our master branch clean of userspace files. These conflicting requirements creates challenges for our workflow. We can't just merge from user to master because that would pull in userspace files to kernel, and we can't merge from master to user because that would pull the entire kernel history into our branch. The best idea we have come up with is to cherry-pick changes from user to master and master to user. This creates merge noise in our user history and requires care to avoid combining kernel and userspace changes in the same commit. At least, this is better than having two completely separate repositories. Probably. We would appreciate any comment on how this workflow could be improved.

> [...]

So I'd really like to see the page fork stuff broken out in their own core
change. I want to do something like this to get around the stable pages pain
but haven't had the time to look at it, so if we can hammer out what you guys
did into something workable and generic that would be great. Thanks,

Josef

  Last update: 2014-06-19 18:41    [W:0.277 / U:0.052 seconds]