SubjectRe: Disable bus's drivers_autoprobe before rootfs has mounted
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014, Peter Chen wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:19:36AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Jun 2014, Peter Chen wrote:
> >
> > > OK, we can keep our g_xxx gadget driver just support the basic feature. But
> > > the bug that causes gadget driver load fail due to udc is probed deferral should
> > > be fixed, do you think so, we can't wait until configfs has total been ready.
> >
> > That problem has always existed. There never has been a time when a
> > gadget driver could be loaded before the UDC driver was ready. Does it
> > really need to be fixed now?
> >

> Yes, otherwise, the device which the udc is probed deferral and the
> gadget driver is build-in will never work. If we skip fixing it, this
> problem will exist for more than 2 years, it is too long.
>
> I have a support request from android team that usb peripheral function
> never works from 3.10.x kernel at one device, I think it is a common problem,
> no only I meet it.
>
> Below are links which this problem reports:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=139380872501745&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=137706435611447&w=2
>
> > If you do want to fix the problem, there's a much easier way than what
> > you posted. See below.
> >
> Robert Baldyga posts the similar solution, but seems Felipe doesn't
> agree it.
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg102795.html
>
> Then, you and Felipe has a discussion for this problem:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg106760.html

Okay, I get it. Felipe didn't want to do this because you might end up
any UDC devices at all.

Felipe, I think the problem of having unbound gadget drivers isn't so
bad. It's just like having unbound drivers of any sort. For example,
the Fedora kernels have ohci-hcd and uhci-hcd built-in. Relatively few
systems have both OHCI and UHCI controllers (lots of current machines
have neither); everybody else ends up with at least one unused driver
and no way to remove it. If Fedora can do this, I think we can allow
users to have unnecessary gadget drivers.

In fact, I don't know of any other kind of driver module whose init
routine will fail if there's no hardware to bind to.

I suggest you go ahead and accept Robert Baldyga's original patch --
except for one little problem: The patch forgets to add driver->list to
the global driver_list if the driver gets bound immediately. The

list_add_tail(&driver->list, &driver_list);

call needs to be moved up near the start of usb_gadget_probe_driver().

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2014-06-17 02:21    [W:0.857 / U:0.048 seconds]