    SubjectLinux 3.15-rc8 ... and merge window for 3.16
    From
    I was really hoping that rc7 would be the last rc, but it appears that
    reality is once against conspiring against my well-laid plans, and is
    forcing me to do an rc8. It's not like there were a lot of changes,
    but the last-minute dcache fixes in particular made it not really sane
    to just make a final release without another week of testing.

    Now, normally, an rc8 isn't really a big deal - 3.15 is one of the
    biggest (if not _the_ biggest) releases in a long time, and we do
    rc8's with some regularity. It may not be every release, but I think
    it's about a fifty-fifty chance whether any particular release goes to
    rc8. So I shouldn't be upset, and I'm certainly not surprised.

    No, the real reason I was hoping that we wouldn't need to do an rc8
    for 3.15 is that school is out in two weeks, and we're doing our
    family vacation immediately after that. And I'd hate to have yet
    another "Linus is traveling during the merge window" thing. Normally I
    have been luckier with my trips than that.

    Now, I'll have internet, and I *could* do the merge window while on
    vacation with the family. I'd just prefer not to.

    SO... Let's try something new. I suspect most people are ready to
    start the merge window, and we could try how it would be to overlap
    the first week of the merge window with the last week of the previous
    release. Most of the submaintainers already use git branches
    actively, so I doubt anybody will find it too confusing if I end up
    having a "next" branch for a week that contains the stuff I pull for
    3.16.

    So let's try to see how well that works - the last weeks of the
    release tends to be me just waiting around to make sure nothing bad is
    happening, so doing this kind of overlapping development *should* work
    fine. Maybe it works so well that we'll end up doing it in the future
    even if there *isn't* some kind of scheduling conflict that makes me
    want to start the merge window before I'm 100% comfortable doing the
    release for the previous version.

    And it's not like I think rc8 is in any way broken. I just don't feel
    comfortable doing a real 3.15 release without a _bit_ more time for
    people to use the fixed dentry code.

    Anyway, apart from the dcache changes, there's a lot of random smaller
    stuff. One one-liner in particular is interesting: Minchan Kim had a
    load that basically ate up all the kernel stack on x86-64, and so this
    finally does something I've been trying to delay for a long time - it
    expands the stack to 16kB. I think all other 64-bit architectures have
    done that a long time ago already, so it's not exactly shocking, but
    it's a somewhat fundamental change on one of the main architectures.

    Linus

    ---

    Aaron Lu (1):
    ACPI / thermal: fix workqueue destroy order

    Al Viro (6):
    lift the "already marked killed" case into shrink_dentry_list()
    split dentry_kill()
    expand dentry_kill(dentry, 0) in shrink_dentry_list()
    shrink_dentry_list(): take parent's ->d_lock earlier
    dealing with the rest of shrink_dentry_list() livelock
    dentry_kill() doesn't need the second argument now

    Alex Smith (1):
    MIPS: ptrace: Avoid smp_processor_id() in preemptible code

    Alexander Graf (2):
    KVM: PPC: Book3S: ifdef on CONFIG_KVM_BOOK3S_32_HANDLER for 32bit
    KVM guest: Make pv trampoline code executable

    Alexandre Belloni (2):
    ARM: at91/dt: sam9260: correct external trigger value
    ARM: at91: sam9260: fix compilation issues

    Alexandre Courbot (1):
    ARM: trusted_foundations: fix compile error on non-SMP

    Alexey Charkov (1):
    pinctrl: vt8500: Ensure value reg is updated when setting direction

    Andrey Ryabinin (1):
    ARM: 8051/1: put_user: fix possible data corruption in put_user

    Andy Shevchenko (1):
    dmaengine: dw: went back to plain {request,free}_irq() calls

    Arnd Bergmann (4):
    Input: fix ps2/serio module dependency
    Input: atmel-wm97xx - only build for AVR32
    dmaengine: omap: hide filter_fn for built-in drivers
    dmaengine: sa11x0: remove broken #ifdef

    Arun Kumar K (1):
    ARM: dts: Remove g2d_pd node for exynos5420

    Benjamin Herrenschmidt (1):
    powerpc: Wire renameat2() syscall

    Beomho Seo (1):
    ARM: dts: fix incorrect ak8975 compatible for exynos4412-trats2 board

    Bibek Basu (1):
    cpufreq: remove race while accessing cur_policy

    Chao Xie (1):
    Input: pxa27x-keypad - fix generating scancode

    Chris Wilson (3):
    drm/i915: Fix dynamic allocation of physical handles
    drm/i915: Only copy back the modified fields to userspace from execbuffer
    drm/i915: Prevent negative relocation deltas from wrapping

    Christian König (3):
    drm/radeon: lower the ref * post PLL maximum once more
    drm/radeon: avoid crash if VM command submission isn't available
    drm/radeon: only allocate necessary size for vm bo list

    Cornelia Huck (1):
    KVM: s390: announce irqfd capability

    Daniel Vetter (1):
    drm/radeon: Resume fbcon last

    David Jander (1):
    clocksource: tcb_clksrc: Make tc_mode interrupt safe

    Emil Goode (1):
    ARM: imx: fix error handling in ipu device registration

    Gabor Juhos (1):
    MIPS: RC32434: fix broken PCI resource initialization

    Guenter Roeck (1):
    powerpc: Fix 64 bit builds with binutils 2.24

    Hannes Reinecke (1):
    dm mpath: really fix lockdep warning

    Hans de Goede (4):
    Input: synaptics - add min/max quirk for the ThinkPad W540
    Input: synaptics - T540p - unify with other LEN0034 models
    Input: synaptics - add a matches_pnp_id helper function
    Input: synaptics - change min/max quirk table to pnp-id matching

    Heinz Mauelshagen (1):
    dm cache: always split discards on cache block boundaries

    Huacai Chen (2):
    MIPS: Fix a typo error in AUDIT_ARCH definition
    MIPS: Fix inconsistancy of __NR_Linux_syscalls value

    Juri Lelli (1):
    sched/deadline: Restrict user params max value to 2^63 ns

    Kyungmin Park (1):
    ARM: EXYNOS: fix the secondary CPU boot of exynos4212

    Lai Jiangshan (1):
    sched: Fix hotplug vs. set_cpus_allowed_ptr()

    Laurent Pinchart (1):
    ARM: OMAP3: clock: Back-propagate rate change from cam_mclk to
    dpll4_m5 on all OMAP3 platforms

    Linus Torvalds (2):
    dcache: add missing lockdep annotation
    Linux 3.15-rc8

    Liviu Dudau (1):
    Input: ambakmi - request a shared interrupt for AMBA KMI devices

    Lucas Stach (1):
    cpufreq: cpu0: drop wrong devm usage

    Marcelo Tosatti (1):
    KVM: x86: disable master clock if TSC is reset during suspend

    Marek Olšák (1):
    drm/radeon: don't allow RADEON_GEM_DOMAIN_CPU for command submission

    Markos Chandras (2):
    MIPS: Fix typo when reporting cache and ftlb errors for ImgTec cores
    MIPS: malta: memory.c: Initialize the 'memsize' variable

    Maxime COQUELIN (1):
    clk: divider: Fix table round up function

    Michael Kerrisk (1):
    sched: Make sched_setattr() correctly return -EFBIG

    Mike Snitzer (1):
    dm thin: add 'no_space_timeout' dm-thin-pool module param

    Miklos Szeredi (1):
    vfs: fix vmplice_to_user()

    Minchan Kim (1):
    x86_64: expand kernel stack to 16K

    Ming Lei (1):
    virtio_blk: fix race between start and stop queue

    Nicolas Pitre (1):
    ARM: 8063/1: bL_switcher: fix individual online status reporting
    of removed CPUs

    Nikolay Borisov (1):
    ARM: 8052/1: unwind: Fix handling of "Pop r4-r[4+nnn],r14" opcode

    Paolo Bonzini (1):
    KVM: vmx: disable APIC virtualization in nested guests

    Paul Mackerras (1):
    KVM: PPC: Book3S HV: Add missing code for transaction reclaim on
    guest exit

    Peter Ujfalusi (1):
    ARM: omap5: hwmod_data: Correct IDLEMODE for McPDM

    Peter Zijlstra (4):
    sched: Disallow sched_attr::sched_policy < 0
    sched/deadline: Change sched_getparam() behaviour vs SCHED_DEADLINE
    sched/deadline: Replace NR_CPUS arrays
    sched/cpupri: Replace NR_CPUS arrays

    Philipp Zabel (1):
    MAINTAINERS: Add reset controller framework entry

    Rabin Vincent (2):
    ARM: 8048/1: fix v7-M setup stack location
    ARM: 8064/1: fix v7-M signal return

    Ralf Baechle (3):
    MIPS: Change type of asid_cache to unsigned long
    MIPS: Fix branch emulation of branch likely instructions.
    MIPS: SB1: Fix excessive kernel warnings.

    Roger Quadros (1):
    ARM: OMAP2+: nand: Fix NAND on OMAP2 and OMAP3 boards

    Sachin Kamat (3):
    ARM: exynos_defconfig: enable HS-I2C to fix for mmc partition mount
    ARM: dts: Fix SPI interrupt numbers for exynos5420
    ARM: dts: Keep LDO4 always ON for exynos5250-arndale board

    Santosh Shilimkar (1):
    ARM: OMAP4: Fix the boot regression with CPU_IDLE enabled

    Sebastian Andrzej Siewior (1):
    MIPS: Lemote 2F: cs5536: mfgpt: use raw locks

    Seungwon Jeon (1):
    ARM: dts: disable MDMA1 node for exynos5420

    Srivatsa S. Bhat (1):
    powerpc, kexec: Fix "Processor X is stuck" issue during kexec from ST mode

    Stefan Richter (1):
    firewire: revert to 4 GB RDMA, fix protocols using Memory Space

    Takashi Iwai (1):
    ALSA: hda - Fix onboard audio on Intel H97/Z97 chipsets

    Thierry Reding (3):
    clk: tegra: Fix PLLE programming
    clk: tegra: Introduce divider mask and shift helpers
    clk: tegra: Fix enabling of PLLE

    Thomas Bogendoerfer (1):
    MIPS: R46000: Fix Micro-assembler field overflow for R4600 V2

    Thomas Gleixner (3):
    futex: Add another early deadlock detection check
    futex: Prevent attaching to kernel threads
    rtmutex: Fix deadlock detector for real

    Thomas Petazzoni (3):
    ARM: mvebu: mvebu-soc-id: add missing clk_put() call
    ARM: mvebu: mvebu-soc-id: keep clock enabled if PCIe unit is enabled
    ARM: mvebu: fix definitions of PCIe interfaces on Armada 38x

    Tony Lindgren (1):
    ARM: OMAP2+: Fix DMA hang after off-idle

    Tushar Behera (2):
    ARM: dts: Remove mau_pd node for exynos5420
    ALSA: pcm_dmaengine: Add check during device suspend

    Valentin Ilie (1):
    clk: st: Fix memory leak

    Will Deacon (1):
    arm64: mm: fix pmd_write CoW brokenness

    Zhiwu Song (1):
    clocksource: marco: Fix the affinity set for local timer of CPU1

    pingfank@linux.vnet.ibm.com (1):
    KVM: PPC: Book3S: HV: make _PAGE_NUMA take effect

    srinik (1):
    ARM: 8057/1: amba: Add Qualcomm vendor ID.