SubjectRe: [RFC 11/32] xfs: convert to struct inode_time
On 05/30/2014 05:37 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:

> IOWs, the filesystem has to be able to reject any attempt to set a
> timestamp that is can't represent on disk otherwise Bad Stuff will
> happen,

Actually it is questionable if it is worse to reject a timestamp or just
let it wrap. Rejecting a valid timestamp is a bit like "You don't
exist, go away."

> and filesystems have to be able to specify in their on
> disk format what timestamp encoding is being used. The solution will
> be different for every filesystem that needs to support time beyond
> 2038.

Actually the cutoff can be really different for each filesystem, not
necessarily 2038. However, I maintain the above still holds.

Consider a filesystem that kept timestamps in YYMMDDHHMMSS format. What
would you have expected such a filesystem to do on Jan 1, 2000?

-hpa

  Last update: 2014-05-31 03:21    [W:1.598 / U:0.128 seconds]