SubjectRe: pci: kernel crash in bus_find_device
From
Aborting a search does not sound like a correct solution.
How does a higher level user (eg for_each_pci_dev) know that a search
was aborted and decide whether it should try again, assuming it would
be ok repeating the action on the devices visited the first time?

Francesco

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
> On 05/22/2014 12:14 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartmann wrote:

>>> Hi Francesco,
>>>
>>> I replaced the BUG_ON with WARN_ON; still crashes.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the problem seems to be known. I found two related exchanges.
>>>
>>> [1] describes pretty much the same problem. I don't see if/where it was
>>> ever fixed, though.
>>>
>>> [2] is a patch to fix the problem. It did not apply cleanly to 3.14,
>>> so I had to make some adjustments in klist_iter_init_node. Resulting
>>> patch is below. With this patch, the problem is gone. It is not perfect,
>>> as it aborts the loop if it encounters a deleted kobject, but it is
>>> better
>>> than nothing. Unfortunately, the patch never made it upstream; no idea
>>> why.
>>> Copying the author and Greg to get additional feedback.
>>>
>>> Guenter
>>>
>>> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/26/79
>>> [2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/4/16/218
>>

>> 2 years ago? I have no idea what was up with that, sorry...
>>

> Ok, but do you have comments on the patch itself in its current version ?
>
> Guenter

  Last update: 2014-05-22 19:01    [W:0.098 / U:0.144 seconds]