SubjectRe: Bumping required kernels to 3.0 for Linux backports ?
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 01:01:23PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:12 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
>> <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

>> > I don't know of anything ever getting picked up after I have said it
>> > would not be supported anymore.
>>
>> Great! How soon after a release do you mention whether or not it will
>> be supported? Like say, 3.14, which was just released.
>
> I only mention it around the time that it would normally go end-of-life.
>
> For example, if 3.13 were to be a release that was going to be "long
> term", I would only say something around the normal time I would be no
> longer supporting it. Like in 2-3 weeks from now.
>
> So for 3.14, I'll not say anything about that until 3.16-rc1 is out,
> give or take a week or two.
>
>> Also, as of late are you aware any distribution picking an unsupported
>> kernel for their next choice of kernel?
>
> Sure, lots do, as they don't line up with my release cycles (I only pick
> 1 long term kernel to maintain each year). Look at the Ubuntu releases
> for examples of that. Also openSUSE and Fedora (although Fedora does
> rev their kernel pretty regularly) don't usually line up. The
> "enterprise" distros are different, but even then, they don't always
> line up either (which is why Jiri is maintaining 3.12...)
>
> Hope this helps,

It does! Unless I don't hear any complaints then given that some
distributions might choose a kernel in between and given also your
great documented story behind the gains on trying to steer folks
together on the 'ol 2.6.32 [0] and this now being faded, I'll be
bumping backports to only support >= 3.0 soon, but we'll include all
the series from 3.0 up to the latest. That should shrink compile /
test time / support time on backports to 1/2.

[0] http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/2.6.32-stable.html

Luis

  Last update: 2014-04-09 23:21    [W:0.135 / U:0.072 seconds]