SubjectRe: [RFC] Linux common clock framework: device with many clocks
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 09:39:11PM +0100, Jim Quinlan wrote:
> In most examples of .dtsi files I have perused, a device is associated with
> typically one clock, maybe two. In the SoC I'm working on, some devices
> need to turn off multiple clocks for PM, as many as 13. The driver gets
> the clocks from the device tree, and when the driver wants to turn off
> clocks to the device, it loops through all 13 clocks.
>
> I'm wondering if is possible to abstract a group of many clocks into one
> "software clock". Invoking clk_disable() on said software clock would
> effect the iteration of clk_disable() on all 13 of the clocks it governs.
> Enabling would effect clk_enable() on all 13. This would make the driver
> writer's life a little simpler.
>
> I've looked at the Linux Common Clock Framework, and it doesn't really
> accommodate multiple active parents as it's somewhat contrary to its
> design. Also, playing with the innards of clk.c is ill-advised. Should I
> just stick to putting iteration over the clocks in all my drivers, or is
> there a better way?

This doesn't strike me as a DT issue. The DT should describe all the
clocks that a given block takes, and the representation of said clocks
in the DT is completely separate matter from the management of said
clocks in any given driver.

If you want a helpful abstraction for combining clocks for management
purposes you'd be better off talking to Mike Turquette (CC'd), as he's
in charge of the common clock framework.

Cheers,
Mark.

  Last update: 2014-05-01 02:01    [W:0.057 / U:0.116 seconds]