SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86 LTO changes for v3.15
On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 17:35:05 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org> wrote:
> >
> > Why would they break tracing? I remember there was a issue with compat
> > calls, are these related to that?
>
> They "break" tracing by being invisible to syscall tracing. As you
> really should know ;)
>
> The syscall tracing feature depends on the wrappers that
> SYSCALL_DEFINEx() creates. See the SYSCALL_TRACE_ENTER_EVENT() etc
> crud in <linux/syscalls.h>
>
> So there's no SYSCALL_METADATA for those system calls that weren't
> created with the proper SYSCALL_DEFINE() wrappers.

Heh, I know that not having the SYSCALL_DEFINEx() wrappers means that
they wont be traced. I must have misunderstood Peter, as I thought he
meant if we added SYSCALL_DEFINEx(), that they would break tracing.

IIRC, the compat calls had some issues with the SYSCALL_DEFINE()
macros, and I was thinking theses functions would have some off the
wall issue as well.

Yeah, adding the SYSCALL_DEFINEx() macros around those functions would
be good for tracing as well.

Glad I understand you two now ;-)

I would have thought my jet lag would be over by now.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2014-04-02 15:41    [W:0.066 / U:0.268 seconds]