SubjectRe: Kernel scanning/freeing to relieve cgroup memory pressure
On 16/04/2014 10:11, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Tue 15-04-14 09:38:10, Glyn Normington wrote:

>>> As Tejun said, memory cgroups *do* respond to internal pressure and
>>> enter targetted reclaim before invoking the OOM killer. So I'm not
>>> exactly sure what you are asking.
>> We are repeatedly seeing a situation where a memory cgroup with a given
>> memory limit results in an application process in the cgroup being killed
>> oom during application initialisation. One theory is that dirty file cache
>> pages are not being written to disk to reduce memory consumption before the
>> oom killer is invoked. Should memory cgroups' response to internal pressure
>> include writing dirty file cache pages to disk?
> This depends on the kernel version. OOM with a lot of dirty pages on
> memcg LRUs was a big problem. Now we are waiting for pages under
> writeback during reclaim which should prevent from such spurious OOMs.
> Which kernel versions are we talking about? The fix (or better said
> workaround) I am thinking about is e62e384e9da8 memcg: prevent OOM with
> too many dirty pages.
Thanks Michal - very helpful!

The kernel version, as reported by uname -r, is 3.2.0-23-generic.

According to https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/e62e384e9da8, the
above workaround first went into kernel version 3.6, so we should plan
to upgrade.

> I am still not sure I understand your setup and the problem. Could you
> describe your setup (what runs where under what limits), please?
I won't waste your time with the details of our setup unless the problem
recurs with e62e384e9da8 in place.

Regards,
Glyn

  Last update: 2014-04-17 10:21    [W:0.068 / U:46.044 seconds]