SubjectRe: [RFC][9/11][MANUX] Kernel compatibility : ext2's dtime field?
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 03:43:12PM +0200, Emmanuel Colbus wrote:
> Now, another question. In ext2, what is the point of the dtime field?
> Personaly, I'm never setting it, because, well, if an inode is removed,
> it's removed, and nobody is supposed to access it again; and anyways,
> since no syscall allows seeing it, the dtime seems to me like nothing
> but an information leakage. But I doubt you would have put a useless
> data in the filesystem, so I'm likely overlooking something; if so, what
> is it?

For ext2, it was useful as a way of being able to do some emergency
undelete operations on a file system. These days, it's mostly for
debugging purposes.

This field is also used as a linked list in ext3 and ext4 for "orphan
inodes" and inodes which are in the process of being truncated or for
which should be truncated after a crash (to avoid leaking stale data,
for example).

- Ted

  Last update: 2014-04-15 22:41    [W:0.024 / U:5.308 seconds]