    SubjectLinux 3.15-rc1 out, merge window closed
    From
    It's been two weeks since 3.14 was released, and -rc1 of 3.15 is now
    tagged and pushed out, and the patches and tar-balls are going through
    the compressors on kernel.org as I write this. Which means that the
    merge window is closed, and people should send me fixes only.

    And quite frankly, it's about time. This release doesn't really have a
    lot of odd things going on, but it's *big*. Sure, we've had releases
    with more files and lines changed (3.7-rc1 and 3.11-rc1 in
    particular), but those tended to have something particular going on
    (3.7-rc1 saw the largely automated UAPI header file disintegration,
    and 3.11 saw the bug staging lustre merge).

    In comparison to those large releases, 3.15-rc1 is just big in
    general. No single big thing, but just lots and lots of commits. Sure,
    it has a few big new staging drivers (rtl8723au in particular), but
    even when big, those aren't nearly the bulk of things. There's just a
    lot going on

    In fact, we have the biggest number of commits in recent history
    (maybe ever), at just over 12000 non-merge commits (and about 800
    merges).

    And it really is all over the map. The bulk is driver changes, at
    about three quarters of the actual patch. Staging shows up pretty
    prominently, but it's really all over the driver map, with networking,
    sound, media, gpu, block drivers..)

    But there's tons of non-driver stuff too. Outside of the driver
    subdirectories, architecture updates account for about half the
    changes (with ARM leading the way, largely due to device-tree
    descriptors, but there's mips, x86, powerpc, s390, blackfin..). And
    the rest is pretty varied too, with core networking, documentation,
    kernel, mm, tools etc.

    So while drivers and architecture updates are the bulk of it, we
    really do have a lot of core changes too.

    Anyway, even more than usual, the -rc1 is much too big to include a
    shortlog of all commits. But the shortlog of merges I've done might
    give at least some overview of all the changes. As usual, the people
    credited in the mergelog are the maintainers I pull from, not the
    developers that wrote the code. You can see that in the full git logs.

    Anyway, because -rc1 is already pretty darn big, I do *not* want to
    hear about "sorry this missed the window, can I still sneak in". Fixes
    only.

    The only exception to that is a couple of pending things that came in
    during the merge window, but were explicitly delayed. So we do have a
    fbdev file movement pending (I'll do the file movement after -rc1 just
    to make things easier to see in the history and not mix up movement
    with development). And there was one namespaces/mounting pull request
    that I didn't pull, but that might still make it in after some more
    commentary/work. That will *probably* be delayed 3.16, but we'll see
    how much TLC that thing needs..

    Linus

    ---

    Al Viro (1):
    vfs updates

    Alex Williamson (1):
    VFIO updates

    Andrew Morton (3):
    first patch-bomb
    second patch-bomb
    a few more patches

    Arnd Bergmann (8):
    ARM SoC non-critical bug fixes
    ARM SoC cleanups
    ARM SoC specific changes
    ARM SoC board changes
    ARM SoC device tree changes
    ARM SoC driver changes
    ARM SoC sh driver change
    ARM SoC late cleanups

    Artem Bityutskiy (1):
    ubifs updates

    Behan Webster (1):
    llvm patches

    Ben Herrenschmidt (3):
    main powerpc updates
    powerpc non-virtualized cpuidle
    more powerpc updates

    Ben LaHaise (1):
    aio ctx->ring_pages migration serialization fix

    Bjorn Helgaas (1):
    PCI changes

    Boaz Harrosh (1):
    exofs updates

    Borislav Petkov (1):
    EDAC updates

    Brian Norris (1):
    MTD updates

    Bruce Fields (1):
    nfsd updates

    Bryan Wu (1):
    LED updates

    Catalin Marinas (2):
    ARM64 updates
    second set of arm64 updates

    Chris Ball (1):
    MMC updates

    Chris Mason (2):
    btrfs changes
    second set of btrfs updates

    Chris Metcalf (1):
    arch/tile updates

    Dan Williams (1):
    async SCSI resume support

    Dave Airlie (1):
    drm updates

    Dave Chinner (1):
    xfs update

    David Miller (3):
    networking updates
    more networking updates
    yet more networking updates

    David Teigland (1):
    dlm updates

    David Vrabel (2):
    Xen features and fixes
    Xen build fix

    Dmitry Torokhov (1):
    input updates

    Eric Paris (1):
    audit updates

    Eric Van Hensbergen (1):
    9p changes

    Geert Uytterhoeven (1):
    m68k updates

    Grant Likely (1):
    devicetree changes

    Greg KH (6):
    char/misc driver patches
    driver core and sysfs updates
    staging driver updates
    tty/serial driver update
    USB patches
    more staging patches

    Greg Ungerer (1):
    m68k fixes

    Guenter Roeck (2):
    hwmon updates
    second round of hwmon updates

    Hans-Christian Egtvedt (1):
    AVR32 updates

    Heiko Carstens (1):
    s390 compat wrapper rework

    Herbert Xu (1):
    crypto updates

    Ingo Molnar (21):
    core locking updates
    RCU updates
    hweight type fix
    perf changes
    scheduler changes
    x86 acpi numa fix
    x86 apic changes
    x86 build change
    x86 cleanups
    x86 cpu handling changes
    x86 debug cleanup
    x86 EFI changes
    x86 hashing changes
    x86 hyperv change
    x86 kaslr update
    x86 mm change
    x86 reboot changes
    x86 cpufeature update
    timer updates
    x86 threadinfo changes
    sched/idle changes

    Jaegeuk Kim (1):
    f2fs updates

    James Bottomley (1):
    first round of SCSI updates

    James Hogan (1):
    Metag architecture changes

    James Morris (1):
    security subsystem updates

    Jan Kara (1):
    ext3 improvements, cleanups, reiserfs fix

    Jean Delvare (1):
    hwmon updates

    Jeff Layton (1):
    file locking updates

    Jens Axboe (3):
    core block layer updates
    block driver update
    block layer fixes

    Jiri Kosina (2):
    trivial tree updates
    HID updates

    Joerg Roedel (1):
    IOMMU upates

    Jon Mason (1):
    PCIe non-transparent bridge fixes and features

    Lee Jones (2):
    MFD updates
    backlight changes

    Linus Walleij (2):
    pin control bulk changes
    bulk of gpio updates

    Marek Szyprowski (1):
    DMA-mapping updates

    Mark Brown (6):
    regmap updates
    regulator updates
    spi Updates
    regmap fix
    regulator fixes
    spi fixes

    Martin Schwidefsky (2):
    s390 updates
    second set of s390 patches

    Matthew Garrett (1):
    x86 platform driver updates

    Matthew Wilcox (1):
    NVMe driver updates

    Mauro Carvalho Chehab (4):
    sb_edac patches
    media updates
    exynos media updates
    media fixes

    Michal Marek (2):
    kbuild changes
    misc kbuild changes

    Michal Simek (1):
    Microblaze updates

    Mike Snitzer (1):
    device mapper changes

    Mike Turquette (1):
    clock framework changes

    Miklos Szeredi (2):
    renameat2 system call
    fuse update

    Neil Brown (1):
    md updates

    Nicholas Bellinger (1):
    SCSI target updates

    Ohad Ben-Cohen (1):
    remoteproc cleanups

    Paolo Bonzini (1):
    kvm updates

    Pekka Enberg (1):
    slab changes

    Peter Anvin (6):
    x86 LTO changes
    x86 boot changes
    x86 vdso changes
    compat time conversion changes
    x86 old platform removal
    x86 fixes

    Rafael Wysocki (4):
    ACPI and power management updates
    more ACPI and power management updates
    CPU hotplug notifiers registration fixes
    more ACPI and power management fixes and updates

    Ralf Baechle (1):
    MIPS updates

    Richard Kuo (1):
    Hexagon updates

    Roland Dreier (1):
    infiniband updates

    Russell King (2):
    ARM changes
    second set of ARM changes

    Rusty Russell (2):
    virtio updates
    module updates

    Sage Weil (1):
    Ceph updates

    Steven Miao (1):
    blackfin updates

    Steven Rostedt (3):
    tracing updates
    single ktest fix
    more tracing updates

    Steven Whitehouse (1):
    GFS2 updates

    Takashi Iwai (2):
    sound updates
    sound fixes

    Ted Ts'o (2):
    ext4 updates
    /dev/random changes

    Tejun Heo (5):
    percpu changes
    workqueue changes
    libata updates
    cgroup updates
    cgroup fixes

    Thierry Reding (1):
    pwm changes

    Thomas Gleixner (3):
    x86 iommu quirk fix
    timer changes
    irq code updates

    Tomi Valkeinen (2):
    fbdev changes
    OMAP fbdev changes

    Tony Luck (2):
    ia64 updates
    pstore fixes

    Trond Myklebust (1):
    NFS client updates

    Vineet Gupta (1):
    ARC changes

    Vinod Koul (1):
    slave-dmaengine updates

    Wim Van Sebroeck (1):
    watchdog updates

    Wolfram Sang (1):
    i2c updates

    Zhang Rui (1):
    thermal management updates

      Last update: 2014-04-14 01:21    [W:0.058 / U:0.320 seconds]