SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] spi fixes for v3.15
On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 01:41:56PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 3:56 AM, Mark Brown <broonie@kernel.org> wrote:

> > Same issue as on the regulator pull request with the entire diffstat for
> > the original pull request for this merge window has appeared - like I
> > say I will try to fix the scripts as it's annoying and unclear.

> Yeah, looking at this, the problem does seem to be that extraneous
> merge. I'm not sure why you did that "Merge tag 'spi-v3.15' into
> spi-linus" at all, but it basically acts as an indirect back-merge
> giving you two different merge bases.

Indeed.

> You seem to start your development by doing a merge of that tag that
> you sent me. Why? Why not just start *at* the tag you sent me, not at
> that extraneous merge of that tag and v3.14.

What the script is doing is starting from your latest tag, merging any
tags I've sent you in the meantime and then merging any additional topic
branches. I'm not doing any actual development on the resulting branch,
only on topic branches. The tags get merged first to suppress repeated
merges of the same topic branch if I've sent a prior pull request been
tagged yet and I use your latest tag to pick up fixes from other trees
and make sure I'm not tripping over things I sent you before.

Usually this works fine since most of the time either your latest tag
contains the last thing I sent you or my tag contains your most recent
tag and either way there's no back merge. What's gone wrong this time
around is that I sent you my initial pull requests based off the last
-rc rather than off the release tag, the script didn't cope well with
that and picked the wrong thing to base the merge off.

If I'd respun the merge before I sent the pull requests it'd all be
working as expected, I need to either just do that or teach the script
to be more sensible about picking where it starts building the merge
from.

  Last update: 2014-04-12 00:21    [W:0.043 / U:0.300 seconds]