SubjectRE: mechanism to allow a driver to bind to any device
Date

The paradigm of telling the device what the preferred driver is feels
more awkward to me than a sysfs flag for the driver to opt out of
auto-probing...but at this point if there is consensus that the
preferred_driver approach will be accepted upstream, I'm ok with it.
It think it works.

However, I am concerned about getting 'preferred driver' accepted
into the kernel and it's not immediately obvious to me how it is more
palatable than the 'opt out of auto-probe' approaches that were
proposed previously.

I also, was at the point where I thought we should perhaps just
go with current mechanisms and implement new_id for the platform
bus...but Greg's recent response is 'platform devices suck' and it sounds
like he would reject a new_id patch for the platform bus. So it kind
of feels like we are stuck.

Thanks,
Stuart

  Last update: 2014-03-31 21:41    [W:0.141 / U:0.272 seconds]