SubjectRe: man termios
>> Peter, do you agree that Linux appears to differ from POSIX here? (Not
>> sure if you tried my test program to verify...)
>

> I did run the test program to validate that it's observed behavior is that
> implemented by Linux, with which I'm very familiar.
> I don't have a test setup for other *nixes.
>
> I would be interested to know the results of
>
> ./noncanonical 0 5 3 0
> hello

Solaris 10:
read() completes when 5 bytes received.
OpenBSD 5.4
read() completes when 5 bytes received.

> and
>
> ./noncanonical 0 5 3 2
> hel

Solaris
read blocks()
OpenBSD
read blocks

Plus my test case where Linux differs:

./noncanonical 100 5 3 0

Linux: read() returns after 3 bytes input

Solaris: read() returns only after 5 bytes input
OpenBSD: read() returns only after 5 bytes input

> on other platforms.
>
> With respect to POSIX compliance, it's hard to say. I'm not sure the
> spec contemplates the degenerate case where max bytes < MIN. And

Well, given the way the other implementations behave, I think it does
contemplate it, because it carefull avoids talking about the number of
bytes requested by read() in that case.

> specifically
> with regard to terminal i/o behavior, POSIX is essentially ex post facto,
> and is really documenting existing behavior.
>
> Other than the degenerate case of max bytes < MIN, is there any other
> variation between Solaris and Linux in non-canonical mode?

The only one I've seen is the one I noted. I haven't tested too
exhaustively though.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk

  Last update: 2014-03-21 17:21    [W:0.079 / U:0.160 seconds]