SubjectRe: i915 resume-from-hibernation problems on resume with current Linus' tree
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014, Jiri Kosina wrote:

> > > I hate to be doing this, but ... ping? :)
> >
> > gm45 and rendering ring init failures. We've seen this occasionally
> > crop up due to rather unrelated changes. Some even hit stable
> > backports and had to be backed out again. We essentially have no clue
> > what's amiss, but it seems to /mostly/ work. Thus far I've only hear
> > reports of this for gm45 and not yet really for upstream. Until
> > someone digs up more evidence I think we need to classify this as a
> > rare heisenbug and not really a regression :(
>
> Thanks for getting back to me with this, Daniel.
>
> Well, this started to be rather regular sometime during the 3.14
> development cycle on my system.
>
> I am able to reproduce it after ~20 suspend-resume cycles. Which is rather
> inconvenient for bisect, but enough for making the kernel unusable on that
> system.
>
> > One thing we could try is to simply repeat the ring init setup, maybe
> > after a gpu reset or something like that.
>
> Will be happy to test any patches.

So I am still seeing this with current Linus' tree rather regularly (but
it's not deterministic enough for a reliable bisect).

Unfortunately I haven't received any patches to test; what do you propose?
Would reporting this on bugs.freedesktop.org instead of ranting here
change anything?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2014-03-21 17:01    [W:1.384 / U:0.380 seconds]