SubjectMax number of posix queues in vanilla kernel (/proc/sys/fs/mqueue/queues_max)
From
Hi Folks,

I have recently ported my multi-process application (like a classical open
system) which uses POSIX Queues as IPC to one of the latest Linux kernels,
and I have faced issue that number of maximum queues are dramatically
limited down to 1024 (see include/linux/ipc_namespace.h, #define
HARD_QUEUESMAX 1024).

Previously the max number of queues was INT_MAX (on 64bit system was:
2147483647).

This update imposes bad limits on our multi-process application. As our
app uses approaches that each process opens its own set of queues (usually
something about 3-5 queues per process). In some scenarios we might run up
to 3000 processes or more (which of-course for linux is not a problem).
Thus we might need up to 9000 queues or more. All processes run under one
user.

But now we have this limit, which limits our software down and we are
getting in trouble. We could patch the kernel manually, but not all
customers are capable of this and willing to do the patching.

Thus I *kindly* ask you guys to increase this limit to something like 1M
queues or more (or to technical limit i.e. leave the same INT_MAX). If
user can screw up the system by setting or using maximums, let it leave to
the user. As it is doing system tuning and he is responsible for kernel
parameters.

The kernel limit was introduced by:
-
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=93e6f119c0ce8a1bba6e81dc8dd97d67be360844

Also I see other people are claiming issues with this, see:
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/manpages/+bug/1155695 - for
them some database software is not working after the kernel upgrade...

Also I think that when people will upgrade from RHEL 5 or RHEL 6 to next
versions where this hard limit will be defined, I suspect that many will
claim problem about it...

Thanks a lot in advance,
Madars Vitolins

  Last update: 2014-02-06 12:01    [W:0.165 / U:0.016 seconds]