SubjectRe: SPDX-License-Identifier
On 02/24/2014 02:41 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:12:53AM +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
>>> But of course, I'm not a lawyer, and if your company has is paying for
>>> the development of the driver, the Golden Rule applies (he who has the
>>> Gold, makes the Rules), and each of our respective corporate lawyers
>>> may have different opinions about what might happen if the question
>>> was ever to be adjudicated in court.
>>
>> Aren't all these points already answered by SPDX project?
>> I believe that they should know how this should be handled properly.
>
> The SPDX can not give legal advice; not to you, and not to your
> company. One lawyer might believe that
>
> /*
> * SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
> */
>
> Might be sufficient. Others might believe you need to do:
>
> /*
> * Copyright Ty Coon, 2012.
> *
> * SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
> */
>
> Still others might believe you need at the very least:
>
> /*
> * Copyright Ty Coon, 2012.
> *
> * All Rights Reserved.
> *
> * SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
> */

Aren't these differences already present in the header?

> As far as I know, there is no case law on point about whether or not
> SPDX-License-Identifier has legal significance, or whether the court
> would consider that to be a valid copyright permission statement. So
> any "answers" made by any lawyer would be guesses. Of course, an
> guess by a lawyer which is retained by *you* or your company and fully
> informed with the unique parameters of your situation would constitute
> legal advice. Anything else, including anything any of us could say
> on this mailing list, would be biovating. :-)

I think make sense to wait for Wolfgang about his experience because
I believe he has considered it before u-boot change.

BTW: Isn't this a good topic for kernel-summit? :-)

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854

  Last update: 2014-02-26 14:01    [W:0.100 / U:0.740 seconds]