SubjectRe: Does it need to implement irq_set_type method in the ioapic_chip?
From
Hi Peter,

At last, the device will be connected to AMBA bus, so the interrupt
pin will be connected to IOAPIC through AMBA bus. The device now
is in the pre-silicon verification stage.

So my question is the same:
Why does APIC driver not implement the irq_set_type method? if
implement it, will supply more free space for the device driver
developer(they can set the interrupttrigger mode by calling request_irq).

Thank you!
Carl

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:34 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> This is an ACPI device connecting to an internal IOAPIC? If not, how is it connected?
>
> On February 18, 2014 6:32:44 PM PST, carl peng <carlpeng008@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi Thomas,
>>
>>Thanks a lot for your help!
>>
>>But I still have some confusion. Could you please help to give some
>>suggestions to me?
>>
>>1) This device is a ACPI device, the hardware engineer designed it as
>>falling edge interrupt trigger
>>mode, does it need to re-work the hardware and modify it as rising
>>edge trigger mode to suit the
>>Linux APIC driver architecture?
>>2) Why does APIC driver not implement the irq_set_type method? if
>>implement it, will supply more
>>free space for the device driver developer(they can set the interrupt
>>trigger mode by calling request_irq).
>>
>>Thank you!
>>Carl
>>

>>On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:13 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
>>wrote:
>>> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, carl peng wrote:
>>>
>>> Carl, sending the same mail twice within an hour does not speed up
>>> things. It's quite likely that it gets ignored.

>>> No. The irq type is configured by the type of the interrupt or the
>>> BIOS.
>>>
>>> ISA interrupts are always polarity zero edge triggered (historic)
>>>
>>> PCI interrupts are always polarity one level triggered
>>>
>>> PCIE interrupts are either legacy PCI or with MSI[X] always edge
>>> triggered

>>mode
>>>
>>> Not at all.
>>>
>>> The device which is connected to one of the busses must follow the
>>> specification of the bus. There is no choice. Any additional
>>> requirements of the device to deal with external signals must be
>>> handled by the device itself and converted to the appropriate bus
>>> requirement.
>>>
>>> This all is configured by the kernel automatically through bus
>>> detection and BIOS tables.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> tglx
>
> --
> Sent from my mobile phone. Please pardon brevity and lack of formatting.

  Last update: 2014-02-19 05:01    [W:0.059 / U:0.532 seconds]