SubjectRe: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4
On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 10:45:57AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've been stuck on this kernel for a few days now trying to prove it
> > good/bad one way or the other, and I'm leaning towards good, given
> > that it recovers, even though the traces look similar.
>
> Ugh. But this does *not* happen with 3.16, right? Even the non-fatal case?
>
> If so, I'd be inclined to call it "bad". But there might well be two
> bugs: one that makes that NMI watchdog trigger, and another one that
> then makes it be a hard lockup. I'd think it would be good to figure
> out the "NMI watchdog starts triggering" one first, though.

A bisect later, and I landed on a kernel that ran for a day, before
spewing NMI messages, recovering, and then..

http://codemonkey.org.uk/junk/log.txt

I could log in, but every command I tried (even shell built-ins) just printed 'bus error'.

I saw those end_request messages in an earlier bisect, I wonder if there
was an actual bug that got fixed where allowed non-root to try and do
bad things to raw devices. It's always sector 0 too.

Yet again, I'm wondering if this whole thing is just signs of early hardware death.

Dave

  Last update: 2014-12-05 18:41    [W:0.321 / U:0.660 seconds]