SubjectRe: Block layer projects that I haven't had time for
Hi Kent,

On 23.11.2014 20:16, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> Since I'm starting to resign myself to the fact that I'm probably not going to
> have much time for upstream development again any time soon, I figured maybe I
> should try writing down all the things I was working on or planning on working
> on in case someone else is feeling ambitious and looking for things to work on.
>
> If anyone wants to take up any of this stuff, feel free to take my half baked
> code and do whatever you want with it, or ping me for ideas/guidance.

I'm interested in taking up your work and further implement it.
IMHO the 1st and 2nd items, making generic_make_request() take arbitrarily
sized bios, are the essential ones. With those changes, individual block
drivers wouldn't have to define ->merge_bvec_fn() any more.

Playing a little with your block_stuff tree based on 3.15, however,
I think there still seems to be a couple of issues.
First of all, it doesn't work with virtio-blk. A testing Qemu VM panics
at the very early stage of booting. This issue should be addressed as
the first step, so that other parts can be tested.

Moreover, I've already tried to rebase these patches on top of current
mainline, 3.18-rc7. It's now compilable, but it seems to introduce
more bugs about direct-IO. I didn't manage to find out the reason.
I'd need to also look at the previous review comments in [1], [2].

Don't you have other trees based on top of 3.17 or higher?
If not, can I create my own tree based on 3.18-rc7 to publish?

Thanks,
Dongsu

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/11/25/732
[2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/2/26/618