SubjectRe: [Patch v2 1/2] gpio: add GPIO hogging mechanism
From
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Alexandre Courbot <gnurou@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 1:36 AM, Maxime Ripard
> <maxime.ripard@free-electrons.com> wrote:

>> The only thing I'd like to have would be that the request here would
>> be non-exclusive, so that a later driver would still be allowed later
>> on to request that GPIO later on and manage it itself (ideally using
>> the usual gpiod_request function).
>
> Actually we have a plan (and I have some code too) to allow multiple
> consumers per GPIO. Although like Benoit I wonder why you would want
> to hog a GPIO and then request it properly later. Also, that probably
> means we should abandon the hog since it actively drives the line and
> would interfere with the late requested. How to do that correctly is
> not really clear to me.

I don't get the usecase. A hogged GPIO is per definition hogged.
This sounds more like "initial settings" or something, which is another
usecase altogether.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

  Last update: 2014-12-02 16:01    [W:0.516 / U:0.008 seconds]