SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] multi-layer support for overlay filesystem
On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 11:37:45AM +0100, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> Al,
>
> Please pull from
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git overlayfs-next
>
> This adds support for multiple read-only layers to overlayfs. It also makes the
> writable upper layer optional.

First of all, your checks in ovl_mount_dir_noesc() have no effect besides
spamming the logs. In
if (err)
pr_err("overlayfs: failed to resolve '%s': %i\n", name, err);
else if (!ovl_is_allowed_fs_type(path->dentry))
pr_err("overlayfs: filesystem on '%s' not supported\n", name);
else if (!S_ISDIR(path->dentry->d_inode->i_mode))
pr_err("overlayfs: '%s' not a directory\n", name);
else
err = 0;
the fourth alternative is completely pointless and both the second and the
third leave you with err being zero.

That opens all kinds of unpleasant holes, obviously. If you fix that by
setting err in the 2nd and thr 3rd alternatives, you get the next problem -
leaks on such failures. Suppose the first ovl_mount_dir() call fails on
those checks. You go to out_free_config and voila - upperpath has leaked.
The same in the second call means leaked workpath. And those failures in
ovl_lower_dir(), as well as failures of vfs_getattr() there, end up leaking
vfsmount/dentry in stack[...].

Next piece of fun: suppose you have in one of the lower layers a filesystem
with ->lookup()-enforced upper limit on name length. Pretty much every
local fs has one, but... they are not all equal. 255 characters is the
common upper limit, but e.g. jffs2 stops at 254, minixfs upper limit is
somewhere from 14 to 60, depending upon version, etc. You are doing a lookup
for something that is present in upper layer, but happens to be too long for
one of the lower layers. Too bad - ENAMETOOLONG for you...

BTW, that sucker really needs cleaning up. I seriously suspect that
quite a few conditions in there might be redundant, but after several
hours of staring at it I'm still not sure that I hadn't missed some
paths in there ;-/ AFAICS, it would get cleaner if you unrolled the idx == 0
pass out of that loop - as in "deal with ovl_path_upper() if present, then
simple for (lower = 0; lower < oe->numlower; lower++)". TBH, ovl_path_next()
seems to be a bad primitive for that use and the other caller doesn't give
a damn about upper vs. lower, so I wonder if the games with reporting that
make any sense. They certainly make ovl_path_next() much uglier...

Another thing: in theory, you can get up to about 2000 (identical)
single-letter names in lowerdirs. Resulting arrays of struct path (i.e.
pairs of pointers) will make allocators unhappy - 32Kb kmalloc() is
not nice. IMO that needs more or less sane limit enforced at mount time -
relying on "mount data is at most one page, can't fit too much there"
is not enough.

Logics in ovl_dir_read_merged() looks odd - why is the lowermost one special
and not the uppermost? BTW, what if you find a whiteout in the lowermost
layer? And while we are at it, what happens when the _upper_ layer is an
overlayfs - how do you create whiteouts there? That, AFAICS, applies to
the current mainline as well...

Anyway, more after I get some sleep - it's nearly 5am here ;-/

  Last update: 2014-12-12 11:21    [W:0.037 / U:1.132 seconds]