SubjectRe: [RFC] The SIGINFO signal from BSD
Date
On Wed, Nov 5, 2014, at 20:31, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
> The people to talk to about that for the core
> utilities on Linux would be the maintainers of the GNU coreutils, or
> whatever your distribution might use in their place (I think it's very
> unlikely that busybox or toybox would implement it however).

Well, if the kernel doesn't provide the feature, then we can be sure it
will never be implemented :-)
I thought this was a good place to start asking,, and even if GNU
coreutils opt to not implement this for whatever reasons, other
applications still can (mine will!)
Besides, there are already many tools which use this feature when
available, these would for with no or minimal adjustments.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014, at 21:14, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> In a world where we have a GUI desktop, I suspect implementing ^T is
> much less interesting but if someone were to submit a patch to at
> least make ^T send a SIGINFO, I can't think of a reason why it
> wouldn't be accepted. (BTW, if you're going to do this, note that ^T
> could be remapped to any control character via stty; so to do this we
> would need to define an extra index in c_cc[] array in the struct
> termios.)

Thanks, this is what I needed :-) I wondered if there is a specific reason
it's not implemented, or if it was just something no one ever did.

I can start my investigation in the kernel sources ;)

Thanks,
Martin

  Last update: 2014-11-05 23:21    [W:0.061 / U:0.252 seconds]