SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] Reenable might_sleep() checks for might_fault() when atomic
On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 08:09:19AM +0100, Heiko Carstens wrote:

> > > So lets try to fix those, ok? If we cant, then tough luck.
> >
> > Sure.
> > I think the simplest way might be to make spinlock disable
> > premption when CONFIG_DEBUG_ATOMIC_SLEEP is enabled.
> >
> > As a result, userspace access will fail and caller will
> > get a nice error.
>
> Yes, _userspace_ now sees unpredictable behaviour, instead of that the
> kernel emits a big loud warning to the console.

So I don't object to adding more debugging at all.
Sure, would be nice.

But the fix is not an unconditional might_sleep
within might_fault, this would trigger false positives.

Rather, detect that you took a spinlock
without disabling preemption.

> Please consider this simple example:
>
> int bar(char __user *ptr)
> {
> if (copy_to_user(ptr, ...)
> return -EFAULT;
> }
>
> SYSCALL_DEFINE1(foo, char __user *, ptr)
> {
> int rc;

> rc = bar(ptr);
> if (rc)
> goto out;
> out:
> return rc;
> }
>
> The above simple system call just works fine, with and without your change,
> however if somebody (incorrectly) changes sys_foo() to the code below:
>
> spin_lock(&lock);
> rc = bar(ptr);
> if (rc)
> goto out;
> out:
> spin_unlock(&lock);
> return rc;
>
> Broken code like above used to generate warnings. With your change we won't
> see any warnings anymore. Instead we get random and bad behaviour:
>
> For !CONFIG_PREEMPT if the page at ptr is not mapped, the kernel will see
> a fault, potentially schedule and potentially deadlock on &lock.
> Without _any_ warning anymore.
>
> For CONFIG_PREEMPT if the page at ptr is mapped, everthing works. However if
> the page is not mapped, userspace now all of the sudden will see an invalid(!)
> -EFAULT return code, instead of that the kernel resolved the page fault.
> Yes, the kernel can't resolve the fault since we hold a spinlock. But the
> above bogus code did give warnings to give you an idea that something probably
> is not correct.
>
> Who on earth is supposed to debug crap like this???
>
> What we really want is:
>
> Code like
> spin_lock(&lock);
> if (copy_to_user(...))
> rc = ...
> spin_unlock(&lock);
> really *should* generate warnings like it did before.
>
> And *only* code like
> spin_lock(&lock);
> page_fault_disable();
> if (copy_to_user(...))
> rc = ...
> page_fault_enable();
> spin_unlock(&lock);
> should not generate warnings, since the author hopefully knew what he did.
>
> We could achieve that by e.g. adding a couple of pagefault disabled bits
> within current_thread_info()->preempt_count, which would allow
> pagefault_disable() and pagefault_enable() to modify a different part of
> preempt_count than it does now, so there is a way to tell if pagefaults have
> been explicitly disabled or are just a side effect of preemption being
> disabled.
> This would allow might_fault() to restore its old sane behaviour for the
> !page_fault_disabled() case.

Exactly. I agree, that would be a useful debugging tool.

In fact this comment in mm/memory.c hints at this:
* it would be nicer only to annotate paths which are not under
* pagefault_disable,

it further says
* however that requires a larger audit and
* providing helpers like get_user_atomic.

but I think that what you outline is a better way to do this.

--
MST

  Last update: 2014-11-27 09:21    [W:0.133 / U:1.052 seconds]