SubjectRE: [RFC] situation with csum_and_copy_... API
Date
From: Al Viro
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 05:42:55PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
>
> > Callers of kernel_send/recvmsg() could easily be using a wrapper
> > function that creates the 'msghdr'.
> > When the want to send the remaining part of a buffer the old iterator
> > will no longer be available - just the original iov and the required offset.
>
> Er... So why not copy a struct iov_iter to/from msg->msg_iter, then?
> It's not as it had been particulary large - 5 words isn't much...
>
> I'm not at all sure that _anything_ has valid reasons for draining iovecs.
> Maintaining a struct iov_iter and modifying it is easy and actually faster...
>
> Right now the main examples outside of net/* are due to unfortunate
> limitations of ->sendmsg() - until now it had no way to be told that
> desired data starts at offset. With ->msg_iter it obviously becomes
> possible...

It may well be easier for code that only has to run in a new kernel.
But for code that has run in old kernels as well you still need
to modify the iov[].

This is also true of userspace - there is no way of completing
a partial transfer without modifying the iov[] to allow for the
partial transfer.

Note that I'm not suggesting that any of the 'write' functions
should ever modify an iov[].

David

  Last update: 2014-11-24 11:41    [W:0.095 / U:2.248 seconds]