    SubjectRe: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4
    From
    On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:

    > It could a completely different cause for lockup, but seeing this now
    > has me wondering if perhaps it's something unrelated to the kernel.
    > I have recollection of running late .17rc's for days without incident,
    > and I'm pretty sure .17 was ok too. But a few weeks ago I did upgrade
    > that test box to the Fedora 21 beta. Which means I have a new gcc.
    > I'm not sure I really trust 4.9.1 yet, so maybe I'll see if I can
    > get 4.8 back on there and see if that's any better.

    I'm not sure if I should be relieved or horrified.

    Horrified, I think.

    It really would be a wonderful thing to have some kind of "compiler
    bisection" with mixed object files to see exactly which file it
    miscompiles (and by "miscompiles" it might just be a kernel bug where
    we are missing a barrier or something, and older gcc's just happened
    to not show it - so it could still easily be a kernel problem).

    Linus

      Last update: 2014-11-17 21:41    [W:4.118 / U:0.044 seconds]