SubjectRe: [RFC] perf-cache command interface design
(2014/11/10 21:23), Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 07:59:24PM +0900, Masami Hiramatsu escreveu:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is the second try for the probe-cache. This version simplifies
>> the synopsis, and unifies the SDT and probe caches.
>> Please give me your comments/ideas!
>>
>> Command-line Synopsis
>> =====================
>>
>> Add elf(or symbols) and probe-caches of SDT if exists in <FILES>
>> perf cache --add <FILES> [--probe <SPEC>] # for user programs
>
> Why the --probe above? Shouldn't this be just (if you are talking about
> ELF files only):
>
> perf cache --add <FILES>

Yes, for the elf and sdt cache, we don't need --probe.
Note that "[]" means optional. If we would like to add some probe cache,
we need a spec of probe definition.

>> perf cache --kcore <FILE> [--probe <SPEC>] # for kcore ?
>
> Adrian, aren't kcore files easily identifiable as such and thus could be
> added as:
>
> perf cache --add <FILES>
>
>> perf cache --probe <SPEC> # for the current kernel
>
> Why do we need a --probe here? Don't they always start with a character
> that is seldomly used in ELF file names and thus we could get away with
> not requiring --probe?

This is only for adding the probe cache (not elf, nor sdt), which requires
a probe definition. Moreover, I'd like to unify the specification of the
probe definition with perf-probe. In that case, --probe is more natural.

>> Remove caches related to <FILES> or <BUILDIDS>
>> perf cache --remove <FILES>|<BUILDIDS>
>>
>> Show all probe caches(including SDT) or buildids
>> perf cache --list [probe|buildid]
>>
>> Delete existing probe-cache entries for kernel, <PATH> or/and <BUILDID>.
>> perf cache --probe-del [<GROUP>:]<EVENT>[@<PATH>][#<BUILDID>]
>
> Ditto, i.e. can't we just use:
>
> perf cache --remove [<GROUP>:]<EVENT>[@<PATH>][#<BUILDID>]
>
> And it figure out that this is a probe that is being removed?

In most cases, it may be OK, but it is also possible to cause unexpected
result when mis-typing. I think if <FILE> is always starting at '/', it
is easy to identify.

>> Query the probe definitions.
>> perf cache --query [<GROUP>:]<EVENT>[@<PATH>][#<BUILDID>]
>
> Replace --query with --show?