SubjectRe: A desktop environment[1] kernel wishlist
On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 13:04 -0400, Zygo Blaxell wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 08:09:38PM +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > I suspect wakeup type reporting is maybe not the best way to go about
> > > this, since there may be a number of causes for wakeups and they can
> > > arrive closely together in different orders, which can result in
> > > races.
> > >
> > > For instance, if the machine suspends, and sets an alarm to be woken
> > > up at midnight to do a backup, if the user resumes their laptop at
> > > 11:59:59, should the backup still proceed at midnight?
> >
> > No. And I would expect that we would get a wake up type of "power
> > button" or "lid open" in this case.
>
> I have been using something like this for the last 7 years or so.
> The relevant inputs are:
>
> 1. is the user present (is there recent input on HID devices,
> keyboard/mouse, but ignore devices like light sensors, 3D
> accelerometers, and ACPI virtual keys)?

If the user woke the machine up through the power button, you wouldn't
see that from user-space. You could detect that the lid was opened,
because you have state.

> 2. which network connection(s) are available to reach the
> backup server?
>
> 3. how much power is available (if on battery, how much run
> time left?)
>
> 4. what is the policy (do backups happen at a specific time
> of day, or whenever they can?)
>
> 5. was a backup completed successfully in the last N hours?
>
> Note the absence of any information about the cause of recent
> suspend/resume activity, or any input from suspend/resume at all.

How do I tell my environment not to wake the screen up when the machine
was woken up by an alarm I scheduled to launch a backup? Or not to
resume audio playback when I get woken up to handle network events
(through connected suspend, or Wake-On-(Wireless-)LAN)?

  Last update: 2014-10-27 16:01    [W:0.202 / U:0.068 seconds]