SubjectRe: Fwd: [Proposal] PM sleep children of inactive I2C bus segments off Masters in multi-master systems
On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 01:32:28PM -0700, Danielle Costantino wrote:
> My goal was to automatically put the devices behind the master
> selector in a (logical) state where all settings would be verified and
> if needed corrected and initialized back to how the device was
> configured prior to giving up the bus.

That kind of reaction could result in a re-configuration war
if both masters disagree how devices should be configured.
Also, unless I am missing something, it would require changes
in pretty much every i2c client driver. That doesn't really sound
feasible to me.

Maybe you can find an error code which with some level of confidence
reflects "lost mastership". Then you can implement whatever makes sense
for your use case in your user space application(s).

Guenter

> The error return is the main issue, but I was hoping to automate
> multi-master bus re-initialization.
>
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Guenter Roeck <groeck@juniper.net> wrote:

> >> Lets say you have a active - standby based multi-master system. If the
> >> other master forced arbitration (took mastership) the next transation
> >> on any slaves of that bus would return EAGAIN or EBUSY.
> >>
> >> Another point is that once mastership has been lost, the configuration
> >> of the devices on that bus are no longer known to be valid...therefor
> >> a re-init of those devices may be needed.
> >>
> > Unfortunately that is a generic problem in a multi-master system.
> > You never know if the other end reconfigured a device or not,
> > even if there was no error.

> >> EIO is such a generic error it makes finding weather there was a
> >> problem communicating or is no longer master of the bus segment.
> >>
> > AFAICS the only time the pca9541 driver returns -EIO is if a transaction
> > did not complete. Only possible improvement I could imagine would be to
> > check if mastership was lost if there was an error, and return something
> > more useful if that is the case. Both -EBUSY or -EAGAIN might make sense
> > here; I don't really know what would be better or more appropriate.
> >
> > Guenter
>

> --
> - Danielle Costantino

  Last update: 2014-10-01 23:21    [W:0.080 / U:0.532 seconds]