    Subject[0/11][REPOST] Energy-aware scheduling use-cases and scheduler issues
    Date
    Reposting the series with LKML on cc as well.

    Original thread (with a few replies) can be found here:
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.power-management.general/41501

    Sorry for double-posting.

    Morten

    Hi,

    One of the requests from the scheduler maintainers at the Energy-aware
    Scheduling workshop at Kernel Summit this year was to provide plain text
    descriptions of use-cases (workloads) and system topologies. To get that
    moving I have written some short texts about some use-cases. In addition
    I described a list of issues that today prevent mainly the scheduler
    from achieving a good energy/performance balance in common use-cases.
    The follow-up emails are structured as follows:

    1-6: Current issues related to energy/performance balance.
    7-10: Use-cases (overall behaviour and energy/performance goals)
    11: DVFS example (for reference)

    I'm hoping that this provides some of the background for why I'm
    interested in improving energy-awareness in the scheduler. I'm aware
    that the use-cases and issues/wishlist don't cover everyone's area of
    interest. Input is needed to fix that.

    Comments and input are appreciated.

    Morten

      Last update: 2014-01-07 18:01    [W:0.034 / U:1.704 seconds]