SubjectRe: [patch] mm, oom: base root bonus on current usage
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, Andrew Morton wrote:

> This changelog has deteriorated :( We should provide sufficient info so
> that people will be able to determine whether this patch will fix a
> problem they or their customers are observing. And so that people who
> maintain -stable and its derivatives can decide whether to backport it.
>
> I went back and stole some text from the v1 patch. Please review the
> result. The changelog would be even better if it were to describe the
> new behaviour under the problematic workloads.

The new changelog looks fine with the exception of the mention of sshd
which typically sets itself to be disabled from oom killing altogether.

> We don't think -stable needs this?

Nobody has reported it in over three years as causing an issue, probably
because people typically have enough memory that oom kills don't come from
a ton of small processes allocating memory that can't be reclaimed,
there's usually at least one large process to kill.

  Last update: 2014-01-30 02:21    [W:0.148 / U:0.476 seconds]