SubjectRe: linux-next: back merge of Linus' tree into the vfio tree
Hi Alex,

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 17:14:29 -0600 Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-09-06 at 09:08 +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >
> > I noticed that you have back merged Linus' tree into yours. Linus
> > usually takes a dim view of that - especially when there is no
> > explanation in the merge commit message. i.e. you shouldn't to that
> > unless you really need to - and then you should explain why you did it.
>
> Hmm, I was hoping that wouldn't be a problem, especially with no
> conflicts in the merge. I did it because the first commit after the
> merge in my next tree depends on PCI changes that have already been
> merged by Linus. Re-basing is an even bigger sin and I felt it better
> to do a merge than ask for two pulls or add an unbuild-able commit to my
> next tree. How do you suggest that I resolve this?

See above ... you should have said all that in the merge commit message.
I guess that you should just own it now and explain it to Linus when you
ask him to pull your tree.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell sfr@canb.auug.org.au

  Last update: 2013-09-06 05:41    [W:0.089 / U:0.088 seconds]