SubjectRE: RFC Block Layer Extensions to Support NV-DIMMs
Date
Hi,

It's a great topic! I am glad to see this conversation happening...

Let me try to open another can of worms...

Persistent memory updates are more like DB transactions and less like flushing IO ranges.

If someone offers commitpmem() functionality, someone has to assure that all updates before that call can be discarded on failure or on request. Also, the scope of updates may not be easily describable by a single range.

Forcing users to solve that (especially failure atomicity) on their own by journaling, logging or other mechanism is optimistic and that cannot be done efficiently.

So, where should we expect to have this functionality implemented? FS drivers, block drivers, controllers?

Regards, Boris